10.10.13

Discussion: Giving up on a Series



This week I will be discussing giving up on a series. Unfortunately I've done this more times than I've liked. But in my defense, the series have well over ten books each and seemed unlikely to end anytime soon. Three series that I can remember giving up on are the House of Night series, the Morganville Vampires series and the Sookie Stackhouse series. 

Each of these had good books to start off with, books that I really enjoyed. I have waited eagerly for each installment in these series, ordering them online weeks before they were published so I could be sure of getting my hands on them as soon as possible. But then the problems started. Each of the series had scenarios they needed to overcome, bad guys they needed to defeat and boys they needed to fall in love with. When all of this was resolved, the series still continued, making up more problems for the characters to face. After a while it started to seem like the authors were just writing for the sake of the paycheck at the end of the day , and not because they actually had any more stories to tell about their characters. 


Eventually I felt like I was completely wasting my time reading these books, waiting for an ending that would never come. I'll be honest and say I gave up on these series 2-3 years ago, and to prove my point these series still have upcoming books. I applaud those who have managed to soldier on with these series because I certainly couldn't. 

Perhaps some day when I know that all the books in the series have been published, with no more being published, I will go back and read these series, because I truly loved reading them at the start. I would love to give them a go again and hopefully manage to finish the series when I have an end in sight.

I'm sure there are other series that I have not finished though none are coming to mind right now. Have you ever given up on a series? If you did, then what was the deciding factor in this decision? Let me know in the comments below!

This discussion is linked up to The Fiction Conniption and Oh, Chrys Let's Discuss. Go check out other discussions!


Follow on Bloglovin


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment