28.10.13

Review: Cracked by Eliza Crewe

Meet Meda. She eats people.

Well, technically, she eats their soul. But she totally promises to only go for people who deserve it. She’s special. It’s not her fault she enjoys it. She can’t help being a bad guy. Besides, what else can she do? Her mother was killed and it’s not like there are any other “soul-eaters” around to show her how to be different. That is, until the three men in suits show up.

They can do what she can do. They’re like her. Meda might finally have a chance to figure out what she is. The problem? They kind of want to kill her. Before they get the chance Meda is rescued by crusaders, members of an elite group dedicated to wiping out Meda’s kind. This is her chance! Play along with the “good guys” and she’ll finally figure out what, exactly, her ‘kind’ is.

Be careful what you wish for. Playing capture the flag with her mortal enemies, babysitting a teenage boy with a hero complex, and trying to keep one step ahead of a too-clever girl are bad enough. But the Hunger is gaining on her.

The more she learns, the worse it gets. And when Meda uncovers a shocking secret about her mother, her past, and her destiny… she may finally give into it.

Title: Cracked
Author: Eliza Crewe
Publisher: Angry Robot
Source: Netgalley
Format: e-book
Series: Yes

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide
  *by choosing to buy books through this link you are supporting future giveaways on this blog*



Okay before I start this review I’m going to be up straight with you. The above synopsis doesn’t make the book sound very appealing does it? Or well, in my opinion, it doesn’t. When I requested this on Netgalley it was more of an impulse request than anything. To be honest I even regretted it a little with my review books to be read piling up. I was a bit annoyed when I was given permission to download it. I get turned down for quite a few books and the universe chooses now to allow me a galley??

But oh am I thankful that someone at Angry Robots said yes to my request! This book was amazingly good! It had a fresh concept, an irresistible protagonist and a bit of romance that compliments the story. The synopsis provided does not even nearly do this book justice. However I doubt my synopsis will either!

Meda is a soul-eating monster – one of a kind, or so she thinks. When she has a bad encounter with a group of demons she is rescued by a Templar; a member of a group dedicated to protecting Beacons from demons. A beacon is a person who will somehow change the world someday, and so must be protected from demons who wish to destroy any hope humanity has. Meda, realising she a half demon, pretends to be one of these beacons so that she can infiltrate the Templars and find out more about what she is.

This story was simply marvellous. I have never encountered a protagonist so horrendously selfish, and I loved every minute of it! Meda is unapologetically looking out for only herself and has no problem with killing at a moment’s notice to achieve her own safety. I loved Meda and found her character growth over this book extraordinarily well done.

The other characters that feature predominantly in this book are Jo, Chi and Uri. These characters were so well defined, each with their own personalities and characteristics. Chi was the wannabe hero of the group, though this resulted in his being far too trusting, especially of Meda. Uri was so sweet, a groupie to Chi’s rock star. Jo however was my favourite of the tree. She was such a meanie, constantly in a bad mood, with good reason. She walks with a limp thanks to a demon attack that killed her parents, she is jealous of those who are allowed to fight the demons. I loved her character ad she had almost as much character growth over the course of this book as Meda. I loved all of these characters and felt quite attached to them. Whenever anything happened to them, I was genuinely worried and upset. It has been a long time since I felt this way about characters in a book.

While I have already mentioned the romance in this book, I will not get into it in much detail. Suffice it to say the love in this was perfect! It was perfect how it evolved and how it played out in the end. The way everything played out was perfect for the characters respective personalities.

It was a very fast paced book, I ended up finishing the whole book in two days; and that was with college in the meantime! It was told entirely from Meda’s POV and I wouldn’t have it any other way. As I’ve already mentioned, I really connected with the characters and felt for them in their struggles. Saying that, I found this book to be quite funny at times and found Eliza Crewe’s style of writing perfectly suited to me.

I would recommend this book 100% without any reservations. A thoroughly enjoyable read that anyone would find entertaining. Go get this book as soon as you can. I’m now eagerly awaiting the next in the series and can only hope there is not too long a wait!


What do you think of Cracked? Are you going to read it? Let me know in the comments below!




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment