21.11.13

Review: Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Postcard-perfect Jar Island is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors at night, where parents can sleep easy, knowing their daughters are tucked away safe and sound in their beds. 

But bad things can happen, even to good girls . . . and sometimes, the only way to make things right is to do something wrong. 

Lillia used to trust boys, but not anymore. Not after what happened this summer. And she’ll do whatever it takes to protect her little sister from the same fate. 

Kat is over the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes made at her expense. It all goes back to one person--her ex-best friend. Someone needs to teach her a lesson, and, with Lillia and Mary behind her, Kat feels up to the task.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. Now that she’s got friends who have her back, he's going to be in big trouble.

Three very different girls who come together to make things right. Will they go too far?


Title: Burn for Burn
Author: Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Bought
Format: paperback
Series: Yes
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus_zpsd755f9ad.png
Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

 photo review_zpsc2e599c8.jpg
I went into Burn for Burn with expectations that could in no way be described as high. I had loved reading Jenny Han’s previous series, The Summer I Turned Pretty. I wasn’t really sold on the premise of this novel and kept putting off buying it until I was in the right mood for this sort of novel. When I bought it with a load of other books, I had a really hard time trying to decide which book to read first. Burn for Burn never even entered my mind. I thought it would be the time of book I’d get to eventually, enjoy reading and then promptly forget about. One day I picked even though I had not finished my other books first. I’m so glad I did.

Burn for Burn is a story about revenge. Lillia, Kat and Mary each want revenge on different people for different reasons. Lillia wants revenge on one of her best friends, Alex, for seeing Lillia’s younger sister behind her back. Kat wants revenge on Rennie, her former best friend who takes every opportunity to call Kat names and to spread rumours about her. Mary’s revenge goes back a lot further to when she was the “fat kid” in elementary school. She wants revenge on Reeve, the ring leader of her bullying. Together these three girls can get the revenge each of them deserves.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was such a fun read, and I ended up finishing it in a day or two. The characters in this book were really clearly written. Each of the three points-of-view were distinctive from each other, with each girl’s personality shining through. It was always clear which of the girl’s views we were seeing.

I really connected with Lillia, Kat and Mary, though Lillia was far and away my favourite! I could understand why each of the girls wanted revenge. All of them had legitimate reasons. However I will admit, as much as I understood Mary’s reasons for revenge, I never really came to like her as a character. All the scenes from her point of view grated on my nerves. And the last scene with her made absolutely no sense and took the story in a completely unexpected, and not exactly pleasing, direction.

There was no real romance in the story, apart from a hook-up or two. The only one who I shipped in this novel was, somehow (and don’t ask me why), Lillia and Reeve. I have absolutely no idea why I want these characters to get together! Reeve seems to be a complete douche most of the time, yet I really hope something happens between them in the next book!

I really enjoyed this book and had such fun reading it! Luckily I have the next book on hand to start immediately; I don’t think I could stick the wait otherwise! I would definitely recommend this book to anybody looking for a fun, and thoroughly enjoyable, quick read.


Have you read Burn for Burn? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!


 photo Jennifer_zps66facca0.jpg
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment