5.12.13

Fandoms: Are You a Lurker?




This week's discussion topic popped into my head while reading Fangirl. In Fangirl Cath is not a very active member of a fandom. She writes fanfiction, has posters and t-shirts dedicated to her favourtite series, Simon Snow, but she never really seems to interact with other fans except through her writing. 

This got me to thinking about what type of a fan I am and I came to the conclusion that I am most definitely a lurker. I never take part in discussions about my favourite TV show or movie. I do, however, love to scroll through tumblr and watch GIFs of my favourite shows. I love how creative some people can be when making GIF's and posts related to Harry Potter, Sherlock, Avengers and the many, many other fandoms I would consider myself a part of. This is made even worse by the fact that I don't even have a tumblr account! I have a few accounts I found somehow (don't ask me, I have no idea how), and I check them every day or two. I don't even know if I can consider myself to be a lurker!

I also love reading fanfiction, it's another way that I love seeing other people's creativity in twisting my beloved characters to their own means. I used to read fanfiction daily back in the days when I was obsessed with Twilight! There was actually some really well written stories on there! 

But again, I never took an active part in this. I never reviewed the chapters I loved and I certainly never dared to write any fanfiction myself. I could never be as good as the people posting there! 

What this all comes down to is, I am most definitely a lurker and I actually don't have a problem with that at all! I love sitting back and admiring other peoples work and I see no problem with that

So now comes the question, do you consider yourself a lurker or an active participant in your favourite fandom? Or any fandom really? As always, let me know in the comments below!



Follow on Bloglovin
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment