16.12.13

Review: Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Lillia, Kat, and Mary had the perfect plan. Work together in secret to take down the people who wronged them. But things didn’t exactly go the way they’d hoped at the Homecoming Dance.

Not even close.

For now, it looks like they got away with it. All they have to do is move on and pick up the pieces, forget there ever was a pact. But it’s not easy, not when Reeve is still a total jerk and Rennie’s meaner than she ever was before.

And then there’s sweet little Mary…she knows there’s something seriously wrong with her. If she can’t control her anger, she’s sure that someone will get hurt even worse than Reeve was. Mary understands now that it’s not just that Reeve bullied her—it’s that he made her love him.

Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth, burn for a burn. A broken heart for a broken heart. The girls are up to the task. They’ll make Reeve fall in love with Lillia and then they will crush him. It’s the only way he’ll learn.

It seems once a fire is lit, the only thing you can do is let it burn...


Title: Fire with Fire
Author: Jenny Han & Siobhan Vivian
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Source: Hello, Chelly
Format: ARC
Series: Yes
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus_zpsd755f9ad.png

 photo review_zpsc2e599c8.jpg

Fire with Fire is the sequel to Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian. It continues the story of Lillia, Kat and Mary as they plot their revenge against those who have wronged them in one way or another. If you’ve read my review of Burn for Burn then you know how much I enjoyed it and how I had high hopes for this book!

The story is an almost immediate continuation of Burn for Burn, starting a few days after its predecessor. Reeve is in the hospital and the girls are still plotting to finish off their revenge. They decide to continue their revenge against both Reeve and Rennie. Lillia has to get Reeve to fall in love with her, thus breaking Rennie’s heart. Once they know Reeve cares for Lillia, she is to dump him, showing him up and breaking his heart.

I thought this sounded very like John Tucker Must Die (a really fun movie) and so couldn’t wait to start it! I also had hopes that Lillia and Reeve would end up together, which seemed to have a chance with this plot! I devoured this book in a day and a half. It was such a fun read, nothing too serious but thoroughly enjoyable!

I loved the plot for revenge and how we got to see Reeve’s determination to get back into playing. I came to dislike Rennie even more during the book, but towards the middle of the book, I must admit, I didn’t know whether to pity her or hate her even more for her manipulation! I’d love to know what was going on in her mind!

You know how I felt about Reeve and Lillia, so I loved the time they spent together with her trying to make him fall for her. I really started to like Reeve, but of course the whole time, in the back of my mind, I couldn’t stop thinking about how he had treated Mary, both in the past and when he sees her on Halloween. I understood by the end of the book, but throughout the book I was in a constant battle with myself about shipping him and Lillia!

One of the things that I disliked greatly in the book was the introduction of the supernatural. I felt it was completely unnecessary for this book and just made me, as a reader, confused. I also wasn’t a fan of the ending. Spoiler Alert! I was really starting to like Rennie as a character, just for her antagonising ways! End Spoiler.

In my opinion this series is well worth the read, with this book being the better of the two that have been released. I can’t wait to read Ashes to Ashes!


Have you read Fire with Fire? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment