8.1.14

Review: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle-a shifting maze of magical rooms-enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.


Title: Cruel Beauty
Author: Rosamund Hodge
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Source: Edelweiss
Format: e-book
Series: No


Cruel Beauty is a fantasy re-telling of Beauty and the Beast and it’s actually done quite well.
The story can be a little confusing at times, but overall it is an enjoyable read. At first, I will admit, I wasn’t a fan of all the characters.


I loved Nyx, the protagonist in this book. She was so brave and daring in the face of what she felt she had to do. She was determined to do what she had been told to do all her life, kill Ignifex. Obviously I disliked Nyx’s father and aunt, as I was meant to, but I also didn’t like the character of Shade. I found him to be annoying in the utmost. This is probably due to the fact that I loved Ignifex. He was so charming and I always seem to fall for the bad guy in books.

As I said before, the story can be quite confusing at times, but this somehow added to the story. Nyx didn’t always know what was happening and so neither did the reader. The most confusing to me, was probably the house itself, which could, it seemed, lead anywhere. At the same time this added to the charm of the story. To fully understand this story I’m definitely going to have to re-read it at some point!

The story itself was very enjoyable and left me feeling satisfied. I loved the ending especially! Again, it was confusing at first, but once all the pieces came together I found myself thinking it was the perfect ending!

The romance in the book was definitely a slow build, no insta-love in sight. I was rooting for Ignifex the whole time and just wanted Shade to disappear! 

For me Cruel Beauty is a must read. It was a slow paced book but I finished it in a day. I couldn’t put it down! I definitely recommend for anyone who loves re-tellings or even fans of Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. This is a great, quick fantasy read!


Have you read Cruel Beauty? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!





Enhanced by Zemanta

10 comments:

  1. Yeah unfortunately the book just felt rushed in the extreme, which made insta-love impossible to avoid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely try Perfect Chemistry, I LOVE that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had heard of it before that but Octavia over at Read Sleep Repeat made me so jealous when she got it! I need it now ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw it on Netgalley but I have waaaaaay too many books to review at the moment so i'm going to try and hold out until I can buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know right! I only wish I was pursuing a degree in computers so I could have a chance of working there ha! Did you love Now You See Me as much as I did?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suppose I never looked at it like that. The price of one cup of coffee isn't a lot! But I keep thinking of how much it would cost over the course of the year and how many books I could get with that money! I really think it's something I'm going to have to think about a bit more before taking the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see what you mean but for me my hobby is reading and I already spend far too much on that! I also want to make sure I'm still going to be blogging a year from now before I do antything! To be honest being on Blogger instead of self hosted Wordpress doesn't bother me too much. I can't code or anything like that so Blogger is nice and simple, and suite my needs. The only reason I want to move to self hosted Wordpress is the UBB plugin. It sounds so amazing and whenever I see a blog utilizing it I'm so crazy jealous. Thinking of it now, it's actually the sole reason I want to make the move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blogger and wouldn't actually make the move to Wordpress unless it's to self-hosted Wordpress. The only real reason I want to make the move is the Ultimate Book Blogger Plugin, it just seems so amazing and helpful. But for now I think I'm okay with Blogger. I'll just have to give up the giveaways for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started out exactly the same as you. I couldn't imagine sending money hosting a giveaway let alone paying for hosting and a domain name. But as time goes on, I find myself really wanting to make the leap.

    For now I think I'm going to wait until I'm blogging a year and then consider moving more seriously. Since writing this post I've come across numerous tutorials about how to move your blog to Wordpress so that shouldn't be an expense anymore!


    And to be honest, as much as I might wish I could, I could never constitute paying that much for a custom design! Until I become a millionaire, I'll stick to the cheaper stuff!


    I've seen the Tweak Me theme on a number of blogs and it seems so versatile, and so cheap! I really want the UBB plugin.


    Thanks for the breakdown of expenses, it really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did! The cast was amazing, especially Woody. Also, I love your new design! :)

    ReplyDelete